North Carolina in an early day (about 1806) to Hamilton Co., Ohio. Purnell, the fourth son, is the one shown on the family tree; he married Nancy Rachel Hearne, daughter of his great-uncle Thomas and Nancy Wilson Hearne, (In the first issue of the family tree of 1891 Nancy Rachel Hearne's birthplace is given as Rhode Island: this is a mistake, as her father never lived anywhere but in Maryland and North Carolina.)
EBENEZER, second son of the first Purnell, born Oct. 11, 1760. married Dovey Walker (who died 1847), children: Cyrus, William, Stephen, George W., Joel, Nancy, Dovey, Mary, and Elizabeth [,Leonora1]. The father, Ebenezer, went into the Continental army, 1776, when only sixteen years of age. anci served to the close of the war in Gen. Greene’s division.
GEORGE W., son of Ebenezer and Dovey Hearne, born 1795 in North Carolina on the Hugharra river, died in Weakley Co., Tennessee 1874. In early life lie married his cousin Milly Hearne, born 1797, daughter of William, and lived for many years near Lebanon, in Wilson Co., Tenn.; he afterwards removed to Weakley County, where he spent the remainder of his life. His wife died 1876, at the home of her son on Thompson's Creek, in the same county; she was a devoted member of the Methodist Church. Her husband. George W. Hearne, did not profess religion until about five years before his death, and then lived a consistent Christian life to the end, a member of the Baptist Church. In the War of 1812 he was captain of a company, which he led through the war, serving with distinction to the end, and after his return home be served two terms as high sheriff of his county. In politics he was a Whig while that party lasted, and during the war and since until death, an ardent Southern man. The children of George W. and Milly Hearne were: Cyrus Robert, born 1814. died 1889; Casendana, born 1816, died Dec., 1858; George W., born 1818, died 1888; Rev. Erasmus H., born 1821 Priscilla A., born 1823; Erastus S., born 1826; Rachel H., born 1828: Emily A.. born 1833; Jane P., born 1836.
CYRUS ROBERT, son of George W. and Milly Hearne, when quite a young man, married Miss Charlotte Alexander, of Henry Co., Tenn., and soon thereafter both united with the Baptist Church and lived in that faith useful lives to the end. They started in life poor, on a farm, but by dint of hard work soon had a good
[Continued on page 110]
1. Although not mentioned by Hearne, there is an additional child, Leonora (or Lenora), of Ebenezer and Dovey Walker Hearne. This information is provided by Zipra L. Morgan of Austin, Texas. She cites "Division of The Lands of Eben Hearne, dec.", dated 25 Nov 1842, which lists his children and their spouses. Morgan provides descendants of Leonora (Lenora) Hearne, as follows:
1. Leonora (Lenora) Hearne ,2
3 daughter of Ebenezer Hearne and
Dovey Walker , was
born about 1805 in Montgomery Co, NC. 4
and died bet 1863 & fall 1866 in Randolph Co., NC, about age 58.5 Lenora and her husband,
William Ingram lived in Randolph Co. NC in 1842 at the time of the
Division of Lands to settle the Estate of Ebenezer Hearne. She signed
her name 'Lenorrah Ingram' on several papers and receipts in her
husband's estate file.
Leonora married William Ingram
Children from this marriage were:
2 F i. Anna Eliza Ingram Anna married Alson J. Kearns.
3 M ii. Ebenezer W. Ingram 3 4 5 was born in 1835 in NC and died after Mar 1868, after age 33.5 According to papers in the Estate file of Wm. Ingram (d. 1861), his son Ebenezer W. left the State on January 1, 1860 to join the war effort (most likely the Confederate Army since he had slaves) and did not return home until after the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. His father, along with his son William D. Ingram, went to Ebenezer's home and gathered his belonging for safe keeping and to pay his debts as necessary. Because his father died before he returned home there was quite a bit of confusion over what had been taken, how much had been used to pay on debts, and what was left that did not belong to the estate.
4 F iii. Nancy J. Ingram 3 4 5 7 was born in 1838 in NC.4 Nancy married Wm. A. Watson .
5 F iv. Lirona
(Cirona) L. Ingram 3 4
5 was born in 1847.4
+ 6 M v. William
D. Ingram 3 4
5 7 was born
on 26 Sep 1844 8 and died on 18 Mar 1924,
at age 79.8
6. William D. Ingram
3 4 5 7 (Leonora
(Lenora)1) was born on 26 Sep 1844 8
and died on 18 Mar 1924, at age 79.8
William married Abigail Lewis
on 21 Dec 1865 in Randolph Co., NC.9
Children from this marriage were:
7 F i. Lenorah "Nora" M. Ingram 3 was born in 1867 in NC,10 died in 1945 in Randolph Co., NC, at age 78,10 and was buried in Farmer Cemetery, Randolph Co., NC. Benjamin Lowdermilk and Lenorah Ingram had no children. They raised his brother, Zimrye Hadley's two sons, Steel and Alfred Lowdermilk. Lenorah married Benjamin Franklin Lowdermilk on 31 Mar 1887 in Randolph Co., NC.11
+ 8 F ii. Margaret
(Maggie) Bell Ingram 3 12 13 was born
on 18 Aug 1870 in Farmer, Randolph Co., NC,14
died on 5 Jul 1946 in Denver, Denver Co., CO, at age 75,15
and was buried in Fairmont Cemetery, Denver Colorado.16
8. Margaret (Maggie) Bell Ingram 3 12 13 (William D.2, Leonora (Lenora)1) was born on 18 Aug 1870 in Farmer, Randolph Co., NC,14 died on 5 Jul 1946 in Denver, Denver Co., CO, at age 75,15 and was buried in Fairmont Cemetery, Denver Colorado.16 Margaret married William Wesley Lowdermilk on 10 Nov 1887 in Farmer, Randolph Co., NC.13 14 William and Margaret left North Carolina about 1900, first settling in Anadarko, Indian Territory, (Okla) and then in Glen Elder, Kansas.
Children from this marriage were:
9 M i. Claudius
(Claude) Franklin Lowdermilk 3 was
born on 19 Dec 1888 in Farmer, Randolph, NC 14
17 and died on 29 Dec 1898 in Farmer,
Randolph, NC, at age 10.14 17
10 F ii. Ethel Abigail Lowdermilk 3 was born on 12 Aug 1890 in Farmer, Randolph, NC 17 and died on 23 Feb 1983, at age 92.14 Ethel married Richard Henry (Dick) Carroll on 10 Jan 1910 in Concordia, KS.14 Ethel was an artist. No children were born to this union.
11 U iii. Infant
Lowdermilk 3 was born on 15 Oct 1891
in Farmer, Randolph, NC 14 and died on 17
Oct 1891 in Farmer, Randolph, NC.14 17
12 F iv. Effie Lenora Lowdermilk 3 was born on 9 Jan 1893 in Asheville, NC and died on 13 May 1935 in Claude, TX, at age 42. Effie married James Henry Weaver on 30 Oct 1909 in Claude, Armstrong Co, . TX. He and Effie were married by L. O. Lewis, Minister of the Methodist Church, Claude, Texas.
13 F v. Sallie Mae Lowdermilk 3 was born on 10 Jun 1895 in Ramseur, Randolph, NC 14 18 and died on 6 Oct 1991 in Thousand Oaks, Venture, CA, at age 96.14 18 19 Sallie married Walter William Weaver on 3 Sep 1916 in Amarillo, TX.14
14 M vi. William Elbert Lowdermilk 3 was born on 26 Jul 1897 in Ashboro, NC 14 17 20 and died on 26 Oct 1988 in Espanola, NM, at age 91.14 William married Ada Perry on 24 Dec 1924.21 Divorced, 1947.21 William next married Maude Unknown. William next married Claudia Unknown.
15 M vii. Infant
Lowdermilk 3 was born on 3 Jun 1899 in
Farmer, Randolph, NC 14 and died on 3 Jun
1899 in Farmer, Randolph, NC.14
16 M viii. Alfred
Hoyle Lowdermilk 3 was born on 25 Jun
1900 in Farmer, Randolph, NC 14 17 and died on 6 Jun 1984 in Denver, Denver,
CO, at age 83.14
Buried in Fairmont Cemetery. Alfred was the author of "According to Hoyle." Alfred married Elsie Waunita Wilbert on 6 Nov 1923 in Denver, Denver, CO.14
17 M ix. Zimrye (Zimmie) Hadley Lowdermilk 3 was born on 17 Jul 1903 in Anadarko, Caddo, OK (Indian Territory) 14 17 and died on 28 May 1968 in Denver, Denver, CO, at age 64.14 Buried Fairmont Cemetery. Zimrye married Lillian Harris .
18 F x. Edith Rebecca Lowdermilk 3 was born on 7 Aug 1905 in Glen Elder, Mitchell, KS 14 17 and died on 11 Oct 1931 in Denver, Denver, CO, at age 26.14 Edith married Thomas Harris in 1923.14
19 F xi. Eva Bell Lowdermilk 3 was born on 7 Aug 1905,17 died on 3 Jan 1963 in Denver, Denver, CO, at age 57,14 and was buried in Crown Memorial Park, Denver, CO.22 Eva married James Arthur Herring on 24 Sep 1924 in Denver, CO.14
20 F xii. Margaret Vohn Lowdermilk 3 was born on 18 Jun 1907 in Glen Elder, Mitchell, KS,14 17 died on 6 May 1999 in Gunnison, Sanpete Co., UT, at age 91,23 and was buried in Crown Hill Cemetary, Denver, CO.23 Margaret married Dewitte Arthur Turner on 21 May 1930.14
21 M xiii. Benjiman Wesley Lowdermilk 3 was born on 22 Dec 1908 in Glen Elder, Mitchell, KS 14 17 and died on 26 Oct 1992, at age 83.14 Benjiman married Marcella Ross in Jun 1931 in Denver, CO.24
22 M xiv. Max Ingram Lowdermilk 3 was born on 16 Jan 1910 in Claude, Armstrong, TX 14 17 and died on 10 Sep 1966 in Denver, Denver, CO, at age 56.14 Max married Amie Graham .
23 M xv. Wayne Louis Lowdermilk 3 was born on 20 Jan 1911 in Claude, Armstrong, TX 14 17 and died on 29 Aug 1964 in Dallas, Texas, at age 53.14 Wayne was a tailor and an artist. Many of his painting were used on greeting cards by the Leaning Tree Card Company of Denver, Colorado. Wayne married Parthenia Nooner .
2. Division of The Lands of Eben Hearne, dec., dated 25 Nov 1842 -- list his children and their spouses, Land division of Ebenezer Hearne who died in 1840. Clayton and Nancy Steed and William Ingram and Lenora Hearne of Randolph Co. mentioned.
3. Hearne, William T., 1907, "Brief History and Genealogy of the Hearne Family".
4. 1850 Census, Randolph Co., NC pg. 150.
5. Decree from the Estate papers of Wm. Ingram 1861 -- North Carolina State Archives.
6. Division of The Lands of Eben Hearne, dec., dated 25 Nov 1842 -- list his children and their spouses.
7. 1860 Census, Randolph Col, NC.
8. Tombstone - Farmers Cemetery, Randolph Co., NC.
9. Marriage Bond dated 2nd day of Dec.and Marriage License signed 21st day of Dec. for William D. Ingram and Abagil (sic) Lewis.
10. Farmers Cemetery, Farmers, Randolph Co., NC.
11. A list written in Margaret Bell Ingram Lowdermilk's hand which list all of Alfred Lowdermilk's children and their spouses: "B.F. Lowdermilk & Nora M. Ingram were married March 31st 1887".
12. Terri Adams, Weaverville, NC, Lowdermilk Data Base--Terri Adams - her research.
13. Copy of a handwritten list (Margaret Bell Ingram Lowdermilk's handwriting) of Alfred & Sarah's children sent to me by Alline Weaver Persing.
14. Sorenson, Merri Lynn Turner, Collection of Lowdermilk Genealogy Papers/Notes including a Descendants Chart and a Family Group Sheet (1974) for William Wesley Lowdermilk. (Merri Lynn's grandmother Margaret Lowdermilk Turner and her mother, Beverly Ewles Turner had compiled researched and maintained family records..)
15. Obit for Margaret Bell Lowdermilk.
16. Lowdermilk, Robert (Bob) Hoyle, son of Alfred Hoyle Lowdermilk.
17. Family Record Sheet from family Bible belonging Effie Lenora Lowdermilk Weaver - in possession of Rhita Thomas Seeley.
18. Alline Weaver--from her family records, Persing, Alline Weaver (daughter of Sallie Mae Lowdermilk Weaver) Letter written to Zipra Morgan dated March 10, 1998.
19. Weaver, Maxine - Letter written to Zipra Morgan written in 1991.
20. Lowdermilk: the builder of dreams.
21. Rachell Lynne Collier, great granddaughter of William Elbert Lowdermilk, from her Family Tree received 5-10-2001.
22. Ruppert, Vivian (Family Group Sheets received 7-20-01).
23. Memorial brochure for Margaret Lowdermilk Turner.
24. Haling, Carol C. Lowdermilk Braden - Family Group Sheets received 9-2001.
Copyright (c) 1999, 2007 Brian Cragun.