Stevens and family. Taking a pitcher of water with us, we drove on to the Greenville P. E. Church (Little Hill), a handsome new structure, which stands on the spot formerly occupied by the ancient edifice, in which our ancestors worshiped for many years. On our journey we took with us a bountiful and luxurious lunch, which had been kindly supplied to us by Cousin Mary jane Long and her generous husband, Mr. Jessie L. Long, of Laurel. After partaking of the refreshing repast under the forest-trees of the grove, we went inside the adjoining church and spent several minutes. Afterwards we continued our journey and in a short time reached the farm on which Great- great-grandfather Ebenezer Hearne lived. He was the father of Lowder and Clement Hearne and grandson of the original William Hearne, who came to Sussex Co., Delaware, 1680.
We found no traces of a house, except a heap of brick and mortar, which were undoubtedly a portion of the original house in which Grandfather Ebenezer lived, away back in the early part of the eighteenth century, 1717. Tradition says that Grandfather Ebenezer was buried under a cedar which stood near the house. There are two old cedar-trees here, which bear every indication of being from one to two hundred years old, standing on the farm, and in rambling near it we supposed that we stood upon the grave of our long deceased and venerable ancestor. The spot is sacred, and only the resurrection morn will be able to separate the dust of his body from the earth with which it mingled over a century ago. It may seem sentimental, but to a Hearne this is a Mecca at which, in after years, we have assembled with feelings of reverence and affection. We gathered pieces of brick and cedar to bear away to our States as souvenirs of this interesting locality. We then drove on to the old homestead of Lowder Hearne (1753-1809). It was sold several years ago, and is now owned by Mr. Isaac N. Hearne: the original house is still standing in a good state of preservation. It is in the style of the latter part of the eighteenth century; the wainscoting is especially a fine piece of workmanship, and, with the open fireplace, closets and winding stairway, it is quite cosy looking. As a souvenir of the place, we brought away some old loom slays, in all probability used by Grandmother Lavinia Cannon Hearne, and a piece of linsey woven in the house by Mrs. Cordey, the present landlady. We visited the graveyard situated near the
[Continued on page 432]
Copyright (c) 1999, 2007 Brian Cragun.